Click Arrow To Start Audio
I &2 KINGS –CHRONICLES HARMONY-
I. THE REIGN OF HOSHEA AND ISRAEL TAKEN INTO ASSYRIAN CAPTIVITY (Chapter 17)
A. The character of Hoshea’s reign over Israel (v. 1-
1. Reigns for nine years
2. Evil reign, but not as the kings of Israel before him
3. Hoshea becomes servant of Shalmaneser, king of Assyria – pays tribute money
4. Hoshea ceases to pay tribute money and appeals to So, King of Egypt
5. King of Assyria besieges Israel at Samaria for three years
6. In the ninth year of Hoshea’s reign, Assyria carries Israel away – places them in Halah, on the Habor, the River of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes – 722 B.C.
B. Review of why Israel has been carried away in Assyrian captivity (v. 7-
1. Israel sinned against God – feared other gods, walked in statutes of nations
2. Concealed true nature of God by building altars and worshipping idols
3. Refused to hear warnings of God’s servants, the prophets
4. Walked in sins of Jeroboam who drew Israel away from Jehovah
C. Origin of the Samaritans (v. 24-
1. Assyria brings men from Babylon, Cuthah (Cuth), Avva, Hamath and Sepharvaim, placing them in Samaria
2. God sends lions upon land – Assyria brings back priest to teach the people in Samaria of the ways of God
3. Samaritans fear God and serve their own gods
4. Samaritans do not fear God by following His Law
1. How did Hoshea become ruler over Israel?
2. Describe the relationship between Hoshea, King of Israel and Shalmaneser, King of Assyria?
3. History of Assyrian kings reveals that Sargon was king of Assyria who carried Israel away into captivity. Does this contradict what the Bible reveals?
4. What caused the king of Assyria to come and besiege Samaria?
5. How long was Israel besieged by Assyria before she was taken away into captivity?
6 What did the king of Assyria do to Hoshea, the king of Israel?
7. Where were the people of Israel taken when they went into captivity?
8. Describe the sin of the people of Israel that caused them to be taken into captivity:
9. How did the people of Israel manifest that they did not “believe God”?
10. How did Israel provoke God to anger?
11. The tribe of Judah continued to keep the commandments of God unlike Israel, who was taken into captivity (T) (F).
12. How did Jeroboam draw Israel away from following Jehovah?
13. Whom did the king of Assyria place in Samaria?
14. Why did the people, brought to Samaria, appeal to the king of Assyria for help?
15. What did the king of Assyria do to help those he placed in Samaria?
16. How could the people “fear Jehovah” (v.33) and “fear not Jehovah” (v. 34)?