Click Arrow To Start Audio
I &2 KINGS –CHRONICLES HARMONY LESSON TWENTY-
I. THE REIGN OF JOSIAH OVER JUDAH (2 Kings 21:26b-
A. Josiah ascends to throne (21:26b-
1. Begins reign as the age of eight
2. Mother’s name: Jedidah
3. Reigns for 31 years
4. Did right in the eyes of Jehovah – walked in the way of David
B. Josiah’s initial reforms in Judah and Israel (2 Chronicles 34:3-
1. Josiah begins to seek Jehovah at age 16
2. Josiah begins to purge Judah, Jerusalem and Israel of idols and altars at age 20
a. Tears down Asherim, graven images, molten images and sun images
b. Tears down altars of Baalim
c. Spreads the dust of these broken images and spreads the ashes upon the graves of those who had sacrificed unto them
d. Burns bones of the idolatrous priests upon their altars
C. Josiah initiates efforts to repair the Temple (22:3-
1. Josiah sends Shaphan to high priest to have money collected to be delivered to the workers for repairing the house of Jehovah
D. Hilkiah, the high priest, finds the book of the law in the house of the Lord (22:8-
1. The effect of the discovery on Josiah (v. 9-
2. The words of Huldah the prophetess (v. 14-
E. The reading of the book of the law and the covenant made with the people before God (23:1-
F. Josiah’s further reforms (23:4-
1. Vessels used in the worship of Baal, Asherah and the host of heaven burned and ashes taken to Bethel
2. Josiah puts down idolatrous priests appointed by kings of Judah to burn incense
3. Josiah takes the Asherah from the house of the Lord, and burns it at the brook of Kidron
4. Josiah breaks down houses of the male prostitutes – the sodomites
5. Josiah brings priests out of the cities of Judah who burned incense-
6. Josiah defiles Topheth -
7. Josiah takes away the horses dedicated to the sun, and burns chariots of the sun
8. Josiah breaks down the altars the kings had made on the roof of King Ahaz’s upper chamber, and the two altars that Manasseh had made in the two courts of the house of the Lord – the dust cast into the brook of Kidron
9. The idolatrous high places put into place by Solomon for his wives near Jerusalem defiled by Josiah
10. Pillars and Asherim cut down, and their places filled with the bones of men
11. Altar at Bethel, and the high place Jeroboam made are torn down and burned.
12. Josiah puts away the abominations of secret idolatrous practices (teraphim) and practices of superstition (familiar spirits, wizards)
G. The fulfillment of the prophecy of the “man of God out of Judah” (23:16-
1. Bones in the sepulchers burned – except the bones of the man of God out of Judah, and that of the prophet who came out of Samaria
H The keeping of the Passover (23:21-
I. Josiah’s life and character not sufficient to atone for Judah’s sins (23:25-
J. Josiah’s death (2 Kings 23:28-
1. Confronts Pharaoh – Necoh at Megiddo
2. Killed in battle with Pharaoh-
3. Jeremiah laments for Josiah, along with singing men and women
1. What three time references of Josiah’s reign are important to remember?
What was important about each of these times?
How old was Josiah at each of these times?
2. How did Josiah walk in the way of David?
3. Josiah first began reforms after the book of the law was found. (T) (F)
4. Josiah’s initial reforms included the cities of the once Northern Kingdom of Israel. (T) (F)
5. What did Josiah purge Judah and Jerusalem of in his first reforms?
6. What actions were taken in this purging?
7. What action did Josiah take to begin repairs upon the Temple?
8. Why was there no reckoning of the money delivered to the workers?
9. Where did the High Priest, Hilkiah, find the book of the Law?
10. What was Josiah’s reaction when the book of the Law was read unto him?
11. Why did Josiah react in this way?
12. To whom did Josiah send the High Priest and other helper to “inquire of the Lord” for him?
13. What message of doom for Judah did the King receive?
14. Why would Josiah not see the evil things prophesied?
15. How was Josiah’s covenant with the Lord before the people made?
16. By examining Josiah’s reforms in 23:4-
17. What prophecy did Josiah fulfill in his reforms?
18. How did Josiah “defile” the altars set up in Bethel?
19. What was unique about the keeping of the Passover in the days of Josiah?
20. Against whom did the King of Egypt come to fight when Josiah intercepted him?
21. Josiah was killed by ____________________________ at _____________________.
22. What major prophet and minor prophet do their prophetic work in the days of Josiah?