Click Arrow To Start Audio
I &2 KINGS –CHRONICLES HARMONY LESSON TWENTY-
I. THE REIGN OF JOSIAH OVER JUDAH (2 Kings 21:26b-
A. Josiah ascends to throne (21:26b-
1. Begins reign as the age of eight
2. Mother’s name: Jedidah
3. Reigns for 31 years
4. Did right in the eyes of Jehovah – walked in the way of David
B. Josiah’s initial reforms in Judah and Israel (2 Chronicles 34:3-
1. Josiah begins to seek Jehovah at age 16
2. Josiah begins to purge Judah, Jerusalem and Israel of idols and altars at age 20
a. Tears down Asherim, graven images, molten images and sun images
b. Tears down altars of Baalim
c. Spreads the dust of these broken images and spreads the ashes upon the graves of those who had sacrificed unto them
d. Burns bones of the idolatrous priests upon their altars
C. Josiah initiates efforts to repair the Temple (22:3-
1. Josiah sends Shaphan to high priest to have money collected to be delivered to the workers for repairing the house of Jehovah
D. Hilkiah, the high priest, finds the book of the law in the house of the Lord (22:8-
1. The effect of the discovery on Josiah (v. 9-
2. The words of Huldah the prophetess (v. 14-
E. The reading of the book of the law and the covenant made with the people before God (23:1-
F. Josiah’s further reforms (23:4-
1. Vessels used in the worship of Baal, Asherah and the host of heaven burned and ashes taken to Bethel
2. Josiah puts down idolatrous priests appointed by kings of Judah to burn incense
3. Josiah takes the Asherah from the house of the Lord, and burns it at the brook of Kidron
4. Josiah breaks down houses of the male prostitutes – the sodomites
5. Josiah brings priests out of the cities of Judah who burned incense-
6. Josiah defiles Topheth -
7. Josiah takes away the horses dedicated to the sun, and burns chariots of the sun
8. Josiah breaks down the altars the kings had made on the roof of King Ahaz’s upper chamber, and the two altars that Manasseh had made in the two courts of the house of the Lord – the dust cast into the brook of Kidron
9. The idolatrous high places put into place by Solomon for his wives near Jerusalem defiled by Josiah
10. Pillars and Asherim cut down, and their places filled with the bones of men
11. Altar at Bethel, and the high place Jeroboam made are torn down and burned.
12. Josiah puts away the abominations of secret idolatrous practices (teraphim) and practices of superstition (familiar spirits, wizards)
G. The fulfillment of the prophecy of the “man of God out of Judah” (23:16-
1. Bones in the sepulchers burned – except the bones of the man of God out of Judah, and that of the prophet who came out of Samaria
H The keeping of the Passover (23:21-
I. Josiah’s life and character not sufficient to atone for Judah’s sins (23:25-
J. Josiah’s death (2 Kings 23:28-
1. Confronts Pharaoh – Necoh at Megiddo
2. Killed in battle with Pharaoh-
3. Jeremiah laments for Josiah, along with singing men and women
1. What three time references of Josiah’s reign are important to remember?
What was important about each of these times?
How old was Josiah at each of these times?
2. How did Josiah walk in the way of David?
3. Josiah first began reforms after the book of the law was found. (T) (F)
4. Josiah’s initial reforms included the cities of the once Northern Kingdom of Israel. (T) (F)
5. What did Josiah purge Judah and Jerusalem of in his first reforms?
6. What actions were taken in this purging?
7. What action did Josiah take to begin repairs upon the Temple?
8. Why was there no reckoning of the money delivered to the workers?
9. Where did the High Priest, Hilkiah, find the book of the Law?
10. What was Josiah’s reaction when the book of the Law was read unto him?
11. Why did Josiah react in this way?
12. To whom did Josiah send the High Priest and other helper to “inquire of the Lord” for him?
13. What message of doom for Judah did the King receive?
14. Why would Josiah not see the evil things prophesied?
15. How was Josiah’s covenant with the Lord before the people made?
16. By examining Josiah’s reforms in 23:4-
17. What prophecy did Josiah fulfill in his reforms?
18. How did Josiah “defile” the altars set up in Bethel?
19. What was unique about the keeping of the Passover in the days of Josiah?
20. Against whom did the King of Egypt come to fight when Josiah intercepted him?
21. Josiah was killed by ____________________________ at _____________________.
22. What major prophet and minor prophet do their prophetic work in the days of Josiah?
I &2 KINGS –CHRONICLES HARMONY LESSON TWENTY-
I. THE REIGNS OF JEHOAHAZ, JEHOIACHIN AND ZEDEKIAH OVER JUDAH – JUDAH TAKEN INTO BABYLONIAN CAPTIVITY (2 Kings 23:30b-
A. The reign of Jehoahaz (23:30b-
1. People of land put him on the throne – reigns three months
2. Jehoahaz’s evil character (cf. Jeremiah 22:10-
3. Jehoahaz is deposed by Pharaoh-
B. The reign of Jehoiakim (23:34a-
1. Jehoikim is made king by Pharaoh-
2. Jehoikim’s evil character (cf. Jeremiah 26, 36)
3. Jehoikim is tributary to Pharaoh-
4. Jehoikim’s rebellion
5. Jehoikim’s many adversaries
6. The death of Jehoikim (cf. Jeremiah 22:19, 36:30)
C. The reign of Jehoiachin (24:6b-
1. Jehoiachin ascends to throne – reigns three months
2. Jehoiachin’s evil character
3. Jehoiachin is taken into captivity by Nebuchadnezzar
4. Great deportation of exiles to Babylon
D. The reign of Zedekiah (24:17-
1. Zedekiah made King by Nebuchadnezzar – reigns eleven years
2. Zedekiah’s evil character
3. Zedekiah’s rebellion
4. The siege of Jerusalem
5. Zedekiah taken captive by Nebuchadnezzar
E. Appendix to the history of kingdom of Judah (25:8-
1. The overthrow and burning of Jerusalem
2. Remaining nobles slain
3. The treasures of the house of the Lord taken by Chaldeans
4. the last deportation to Babylon
5. Gedaliah is made Governor of Judah
6. The murder of Gedaliah and flight of the people (cf. Jeremiah 40-
7. Jehoiachin is set at liberty.
1. Who placed Jehoahaz on the throne of Judah?
2. How did Jehoahaz manifest evil in his life?
3. How was Jehoahaz removed from being king over Judah?
4. Give two facts that show the supremacy of Egypt and the dependency of Judah during the reign of Jehoiakim?
5. Jehoahaz and Jehoiakim were half-
6. In the days of Nebuchadnezzar,
(a). Jehoiakim was taken captive away into Babylon.
(b). Daniel was taken captive away into Babylon.
(c). Both (a) and (b)
7. What was the attitude of Jehoiakim toward the prophets who spoke the truth in the name of the Lord?
8. What strong power was ending and what world power was rising during the time of the reign of Jehoiakim?
How is the character of Johoiakim’s reign reflected in your answer?
9. How do the times of Jehoiakim’s reign show that God sometimes does not spare us from the consequences of sins?
10. Does the fact that Jehoiakim “slept with his fathers” mean he had a peaceful and respectful death?
11. What was the character of Jehoiachim’s reign in Judah?
12. What did Jehoiachin do after being besieged by Nebuchadnezzar’s servants and then by Nebuchadnezzar himself?
13. How large was the deportation of the people of Judah into Babylonian captivity?
14. What treasures were taken away from Jerusalem into Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar in Jehoiachin’s reign?
15. What did Nebuchadnezzar leave behind in Jerusalem?
16. Who was Mattaniah?
17. Describe the character of Zedekiah’s reign:
18. How long did Nebuchadnezzar besiege Jerusalem before conquering it during Zedekiah’s reign.
19. What happened to Zedekiah and his family when Nebuchadnezzar took Jerusalem?
20. What happened to the city of Jerusalem and the house of God a month after Jerusalem had been overrun by the Chaldeans?
21. What happened to the nobles of Zedekiah in Riblah?
22. What warning did the people left in Jerusalem ignore when Gedaliah was slain?
23. How was Jehoiachin treated in Babylon?