Click Arrow To Start Audio
I & 2 PETER – LESSON 3
III. THE CALL TO SPIRITUAL EXCELLENCE (2:1-
A. The call to spiritual growth (2:1-
1. Demands putting away all wickedness
2. Demands longing for the spiritually nourishing word
3. Growth’s goal: “unto salvation”
4. Motivation: “tasted that the Lord is gracious”
B. A call to spiritual worship (2:5-
1. Christians are living stones comprising a spiritual house.
2. Christians are a holy priesthood offering up spiritual sacrifices through Jesus Christ.
3. Christians, in their obedience, build on Christ as the true head of the corner.
a. Others, in their disbelief, find Christ a stone of stumbling.
C. A call to show forth the excellencies of God (2:9-
1. Christians are an elect race.
2. Christians are a holy nation, special unto God.
3. Christians are a people who have obtained God’s mercy.
4. Purpose: to manifest the virtuous qualities of God
1. What four specific forms of wickedness must the Christian put away?
2. How is the Christian to be like a newborn baby?
3. How does Christ appear to Christians, and how does He appear before God?
4. Does Christianity provide for a special priesthood apart from other Christians? Why do people ignore this in their churches?
5 What kind of sacrifices do Christians offer?
6. How are our sacrifices offered “through Jesus Christ”?
7. What does God promise you if you put your trust in Jesus Christ and build upon Him?
8. Describe the one unto whom Christ is a stone of stumbling:
9. Explain how Christians today are spiritual Israel:
10. What is one purpose of our calling?