Click Arrow To Start Audio
I & 2 PETER – LESSON 5
V. CONSIDERING SUFFERING AND THE GLORY TO FOLLOW (3:13-
A. Be zealous for good – do not fear men (3:13-
1. Generally speaking, men do not harm them who do good.
2. But if God wills that you suffer for righteousness, do the following:
a. set Christ as Lord in your heart.
b. be ready always to give answer for the reason of your hope.
3. Live with a truly good conscience
4. This good conduct puts to shame the revilers.
5. Better to suffer for well-
B. Reflect on the example of Christ (3:18-
1. Christ, the righteous One, suffered for the sins of the unrighteous.
a. Purpose: to bring us to God
2. Put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit
a. In the spirit…he had preached in the days of Noah to the unrighteous, who were disobedient, and now reserved for Judgment.
b. In the spirit…He has all authority in heaven to save.
(1). As the righteous were saved through water in the days of Noah, baptism in water saves us now.
(2). By the resurrection of Jesus Christ
3, Jesus dies for sins once that we should no longer live in the flesh to the lusts of men
a. Be armed with the same mind.
b. The spiritually dead may speak evil of you when you do not join them in their riotous living.
c. All, including the spiritually dead will give account to the Lord in Judgment.
4. The Gospel was preached to condemn living in the lusts of the flesh in order that man may live in the spirit.
C. Service to God and Christians commanded due to impending end (4:7-
1. Be of sound mind.
2. Be calm in prayer.
3. Be fervent in love toward one another.
4. Be good stewards – that God be glorified in Jesus Christ
D. Face the persecution as a test (4:12-
1. Do not consider it strange – you are partakers of Christ’s sufferings.
a. You will rejoice at the revelation of Christ’s glory.
2. If reproached for the name of Christ – God’s spirit and glory rests upon you.
3. Do not be ashamed to suffer as a Christian – glorify God in this name.
4. If the godly are saved through difficulties – what is the end of them who do not obey the gospel?
5. Commit your souls in well-
1. Give two reasons why doing that which is good will serve the Christian in this life:
2. What should we always be ready to do even in times of persecution?
3. How is Christ a prime example for unjust persecution?
4. How did Christ speak in the spirit in Noah’s day?
5. How does water relate to salvation both in Noah’s day and the present?
6. What does Christ offer that serves us as mental armor?
7. What light does I Peter 4:3 shed on the questions of “should we dance?” and “Is social drinking alright?”
8. What can happen if you do not run with the crowd? How can this help us prepare ourselves and our children for the world today?
9. What are two purposes for preaching the Gospel?
10. What “end” is under consideration in I Peter 4:7?
11. What kind of mind is conducive to prayer?
12. What does fervent love do for the brethren?
13. What is part of the grace of God in 4:7-
14. Give two synonyms for “suffering as a Christian:”
15. What encouragement does one have when he or she suffers as a Christian?