Click Arrow To Start Audio
I & 2 SAMUEL – LESSON FOUR
IV. GOD CHOOSES DAVID TO BE KING (Chapters 16-
A. Samuel anoints David as successor to Saul (16:1-
1. Samuel is sent to Jesse, the Bethlehemite, to anoint one of his sons as king (v. 1).
2. Samuel and Jesse are called to sacrifice at Bethlehem (v. 1-
3. The first seven sons of Jesse are not God’s chosen-
B. Evil spirit troubles Saul – quieted by David’s playing a harp (16:14-
1. Evil spirit comes because Spirit of Jehovah has departed from Saul (v. 14-
2. Servants suggest David’s skillful playing of the harp will heal Saul (v. 16).
3. David is summoned to Saul (v. 17-
C. David’s reputation advanced by killing Goliath, the Philistines’ champion (Chapter 17).
1. Goliath defies Israel (v. 1-
2. David visits Israel’s camp (v. 12-
3. David undertakes the challenge of killing Goliath and prepares for encounter (v.32-
4. David kills Goliath and the Philistines flee (v. 41-
5. Saul inquires as to David’s parentage (v. 55-
1. In anointing the new king, what was Samuel told to do that would not alarm Saul?
2. Why was Samuel sure Eliab was God’s choice for Israel’s King?
3. How does God look at things differently than man?
4. Describe the outward appearance of David:
5. What is the “evil spirit” that comes upon Saul?
6. Why was David called to Saul’s side?
7. How big was Goliath?
8. What challenge did Goliath make?
9. Why did David come to Israel’s camp?
10. What was promised to the one who would meet Goliath’s challenge?
11. Why did Eliab rebuke David?
12. How did David help Saul see that he was able to challenge Goliath?
13. What armor did David take with him to battle Goliath? Was this wise?
14. Give THREE statements made to Goliath manifesting David’s belief that God was with him?
15. “David prevailed over Goliath with a _____________ and a _______________.”
16. What did David do to the head of Goliath?
17. Since Saul already met David, why did he ask, “Whose son is this youth?” when David went out to battle Goliath?