Click Arrow To Start Audio
I & 2 SAMUEL – LESSON TEN
X. DAVID’S TROUBLE WITH HIS SON ABSALOM (2 Samuel 13:1-
A. Absalom plots and commands Amnon’s death as retribution for raping their sister, Tamar (13:1-
B. Joab persuades David through the woman of Tekoa to bring Absalom back to Jerusalem (14:1-
C. Absalom gains favor with the people of Israel and seeks the kingdom, causing David to flee from Jerusalem (15:1-
D. Deceiving Ziba brings mules and food for David and David blesses him with all that pertains to Mephibosheth (16:1-
E. David humbly endures the cursing and stone throwing by Shimei (16:5-
F. Hushai gains confidence of Absalom in Jerusalem in order to hear the counsel of Ahithophel (16:15-
G. Ahithophel’s counsel defeated by the better counsel of Hushai (17:1-
H. David prepares his men for war against the approaching Absalom – receives message that Absalom’s forces are defeated, and Absalom is killed (18:1-
1. From chapter 13, give a one-
2. What type of love did Amnon have for Tamar?
3. What factors could have contributed to David not suspecting that Absalom would harm Amnon?
a. Tamar (1). Manifested anger toward sin – but no correcting
b. Jonadab (2). Sinned and did worse
c. Amnon (3). A friend in name only
d. Absalom (4). Regarded chastity as honor
e. David (5). Hid anger – but took action to correct it
5. Describe David’s attitude toward Absalom following Absalom’s killing of Amnon?
6. What did Joab see in David that caused him to pursue bringing Absalom back from Geshur?
7. What wisdom did the woman from Tekoa use to “change the face of the matter” regarding David’s situation with Absalom?
8. Joab was a ________________ man.
Explain your answer:
9. After being ignored, how did Absalom obtain Joab’s attention and entrance to see David’s face?
10. What sign showed that David received Absalom back again in good graces?
11. How did Absalom steal the hearts of the men of Israel from David?
12. Describe the manner in which David and his people left Jerusalem.
13. What was David’s information network that allowed him to keep up with Absalom while David was out of Jerusalem?
14. What did Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth do to gain favor with David?
15. Why did David refrain from retaliating against the cursing Shimei?
16. How did Hushai, David’s friend, gain the confidence of Absalom?
17. How was Nathan’s prophesy (2 Samuel 12:11-
18. What was the difference between Ahithophel’s counsel and that offered by Hushai?
19. Why was Ahithophel’s counsel defeated ultimately?
20. What did Ahithophel do when he learned Absalom did not follow his counsel?
21. Who showed kindness to David at Mahanaim?
22. Describe the forces that David had with him as they were preparing for Absalom?
23. While Absalom rode under a tree, his hair caught up on the branches suspending him in mid air. (T) (F)
24. How did Joab and his armor bearers disobey David?
25. Why had Absalom built for himself a monument?
26. Give a brief summary of Absalom’s character:
27. Why did Joab not want to send Ahimaaz to report the victory over Absalom?
28. How did Ahimaaz consider Joab’s concern in the report he did give David?
29. What love of a father for his son is manifested in David’s grief over Absalom?
I & 2 SAMUEL – LESSON ELEVEN
XI. DAVID RETURNS TO JERUSALEM (2 Samuel 19:1-
A. David mourns over the death of Absalom in Mahanaim causing his victorious people to sorrow, and Joab to rebuke him (19:1-
B. Israel quick to want David back as King in Jerusalem, and David seeks to know why Judah is so slow in asking him back (19:9-
C. David returns to Jerusalem via the Jordan River at Gilgal (19:15-
1. Shimei, accompanied by one thousand Benjamites and Ziba, crosses the Jordan to confess his sin and greet David as King (v. 15-
2. Mephibosheth reveals Ziba’s deception and manifests his own dedication to David as King when they finally arrive in Jerusalem (v. 24-
3. Barzillai, the Gileadite, accompanies David and men across the Jordan and then returns to die in own country – Chimham will serve and be blessed by David in Barzillai’s stead (v. 31-
D. Sheba, the Benjamite, rebels against David as King (20:1-
1. Sheba influences the men of Israel away from David (v. 1-
2. David places his ten concubines in ward (v. 3)
3 David charges Abishai to take men and pursue Sheba when Amasa does not come when appointed (v. 4-
4. Joab kills Amasa with sword (v. 8-
5. Through the influence of a wise woman, Sheba is beheaded by the inhabitants of Abel of Beth-
E. David’s chief officers (20:23-
1. What effect did David’s grief for Absalom have on his people?
2. Was Joab’s rebuke to David justified?
3. Who was first to want David back as King?
(b) Israel (10 tribes)
4. What two consequential messages did David send by the priests?
5. Shimei was the first of the house of Joseph to meet David upon his return. (T) (F)
6. How had Shimei changed since the last time he saw David?
7. Where did Mephibosheth explain to David why he did not follow after David when he had to flee Jerusalem?
8. How did Ziba deceive and slander Mephibosheth?
9. When David commanded that the possessions should be divided among Ziba and Mephibosheth, Mephibosheth manifested
a. a covetous character.
b. a grateful character.
c. a sarcastic character.
10. Why was David so generous in his treatment of Barzillai and Chimham?
11. How did David dignify the aged Barzillai?
12. Why did a feud begin between the ten tribes and Judah?
13. How successful was Sheba in his rebellion against David?
14. Why did David treat his concubines the way he did?
15. How did the woman of Abel manifest prudent wisdom to Joab?
16. What changes occurred in circumstances and personnel relating to David’s reign from 8:15-