Click Arrow To Start Audio
I CORINTHIANS: LESSON 2
The words, DIVISION, CONTENTIONS OR STRIFE, and JEALOUSY (1:10,11; 3:3) set the tone for the first four chapters of I Corinthians. Division is apparent, and needs correcting for the sake of the Lord’s church in Corinth. This division is centered in man glorying in man and his wisdom, coupled with man welcoming the glory from others (1:29, 31; 3:18, 21, 4:6-
Paul, guided by the Holy Spirit, sets forth the remedy for such division by first reminding the people of the nature of their calling in contrast to the wisdom of man (1:13-
II. THE PROBLEM OF DIVISION (1:10-
A. The Problem Manifested (1:10-
B. The Solution: Consider Christ and Him Crucified (1:13-
1. As the basis for the Corinthians’ salvation (1:13-
2. As the theme for the saving word (1:18-
3. As the only true object of the Corinthians’ glory (1:26-
C. God’s Wisdom Vs. Man’s Wisdom (2:1-
1. The manner of Paul in presenting God’s wisdom (2:1-
2. The manner in which Paul received God’s wisdom (2:6-
3. The manner in which man reacts to God’s wisdom (2:14-
D. The Role Of The Minister Of God’s Wisdom (3:1-
1. Glorying in men robbed people of receiving the meat of God’s word (3:1-
2. The minister working together with God (3:6-
3. The minister and his responsibility before God (4:1-
4. The minister and his suffering (4:7-
5. Paul as the true minister (4:14-
1. Describe the “perfecting together” than God wants to see in his church.
2. What was the nature of the division in Corinth?
3. Paul appeals to what facts in order to solve this division?
4. What kind of wisdom hinders the progress of the gospel and unity?
5. How is man ever going to know God?
6. How was the preaching of Christ crucified:
(a). a stumbling block to the Jews?
(b). foolishness to the Gentiles?
7. Why are many of the wise after the flesh, mighty and noble left out of the calling?
8. Who deserves our glory? Why?
9. What was the theme of Paul’s preaching? Why?
10. In what TWO WAYS does Paul show that his speech originated NOT from man?
11. Describe the “natural man”?
12. What conditions must be eliminated before spiritual growth can begin?
13. What factors determine a successful spiritual building?
14. What is the temple of God, and who can destroy it?
15. How does Paul want to be viewed by the Corinthians?
16. Whom does the true minister of God seek to please?
17. What was the purpose for Paul using himself and Apollos as examples?
18. The apostles were made a _______________ unto the __________________. How?
19. What was the spirit of Paul’s rebuke? What does this teach us about the goal of our rebukes?
20. What was Paul’s relationship with the Corinthians?
21. Paul beseeched the Corinthians to “be _____________ of ___________.” Why is such request on safe ground?
22. Why would some be puffed up over Paul not coming to Corinth?
23. The Kingdom of God is not in ________________ but in ________________. Explain the contrast:
24. Who was to determine whether Paul would come to Corinth with a “rod” or “in love and spirit of gentleness”?