Click Arrow To Start Audio
I CORINTHIANS: LESSON 9
Before Paul came to Corinth, he preached to the philosophers in Athens concerning the implications of the resurrection of Christ. Luke records the following reaction: “Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked;” (Acts 17:32). Such response reflected Greek thought that accepted the immortality of the soul, but rejected the resurrection of the body. Such erroneous thinking is the object of Paul’s rebuke in this section of the letter (v. 12, 35-
Paul begins by emphasizing the resurrection of Christ as the basis for the gospel which the Corinthians had believed and obeyed. He proceeds to show the implications of this fact to their lives, and future destiny as saints.
I. THE PROBLE OF THE BODILY RESURRECTION OF THE DEAD (15:1-
A. The resurrection of Christ an important fact of the believed gospel (v. 1-
1. A fact witnessed by many (v. 1-
2. A fact preached by the apostles (v. 9-
3. A belief that makes “men most pitiable” if not true (v. 14-
B. The resurrection of Christ as first-
1. Evidence which produces confidence in the future raising of the dead (v. 20-
2. Evidence which produces confidence that the last enemy will be abolished (v. 24-
3. Evidence which produces confidence in times of persecution (v. 29-
C. The resurrected body (v. 35-
1. A reality based upon God’s observable power (v. 35-
2. A reality based upon God’s requirements for entering heaven (v. 51-
3. A reality that inspired faithful service (v. 58)
1. Can a person become a believer of the Gospel, and lose his or her salvation?
What condition must be met to remain saved?
2. What does Paul refer to when he mentions that Christ’s death and resurrection “were according to the Scriptures”?
Give examples of each: (death and resurrection):
3. Explain why Paul refers to himself as a “child untimely borne.”
4. What are the facts if Christ has not been raised?
5. What does the term “first-
6. What will occur when Christ returns?
7. What does it mean in verse 34, to be “baptized for the dead?”
8. What of God do we see in nature?
9. Describe the resurrection body:
10. As Christians, what can we keep on our mind that will help us remain faithful in our service of the Lord?