Click Arrow To Start Audio
COLOSSIANS: LESSON 2
I. PAUL’S INTERCESSORY PRAYER AND EXALTATION OF CHRIST (1:9-
A. Paul’s request on behalf of brethren (v. 9-
1. Be filled with knowledge.
2. Walk worthily of the Lord.
3. Be Strengthened with God’s might.
4. Give thanks for redemption.
B. Christ: The Pre-
3. Head of church
C. Christ: The Fullness of God (v. 19)
D. Christ: The Reconciler of All Things (v. 20-
1. In body of Jesus’ flesh through death
2. Purpose: present people holy and unreprovable
3. Condition: continue in the faith
1. Which one of the following manifests the requests of Paul’s prayer when his prayer was answered?
a. Filled with knowledge:
(1). Knows much about the Bible
(2). Understands with will of God
(3). Understands that wisdom does not promote humble Christianity
b. Walk worthily:
(1). Gives one’s time to serve in various service organizations.
(2). Understands that increased knowledge and a worthy walk are separate facets of life.
(3). Continually increases in good works and knowledge of God.
c. Be Strengthened:
(1). Has strength to endure persecution
(2). No longer has to expect tribulation in Christ
(3). Has strength to overcome persecutions with joy
2. Why should we be thankful to God for transferring us to another kingdom?
3. How can we know the invisible God?
4. How is the word “firstborn” used in describing the Son of God in verse 15?
5. Who or what holds all things together?
6. Why is it important for Paul to connect the fullness of God and the Creator of all things together in the one Son of God?
7. Reconciliation or peace with God is made only through what?
8. Describe the one who continues in the faith?
9. To what extent had the gospel been preached at the time of this letter?
COLOSSIANS: LESSON 3
I. PAUL’S MINISTRY IN THE MYSTERY (1:24-
A. Paul rejoices in sufferings for those to whom the mystery has been manifested through the word.
1. For Christ’s body – the church’s sake
2. The Mystery:
a. hidden but now made known
b. among the Gentiles
c. Christ in you – the hope of glory
B. Paul labors to present every man perfect in Christ (1:28-
1. By proclaiming Christ
2. Through admonition and teaching
3. According to God’s power
C. Paul earnestly desires that all have unity, and the riches of full understanding of the mystery of God (2:1-
1. In Christ – all treasures of wisdom and knowledge
D. Paul encourages all brethren to remain in Christ and not be deluded with persuasiveness of speech (2:4-
1. Why did Paul rejoice in his sufferings?
2. The afflictions of Christ that Paul “filled” were:
a. afflictions that Christ died too soon to suffer for on the cross.
b. afflictions that Christ promised would come upon Paul (Acts 9:16)
c. afflictions that come upon one in standing for the cause of Christ.
3. Christ’s body is the ________________.
4. Paul regarded his ministry as a ____________ of ______________.
5. The “mystery” is:
a. incomprehensible or obscure.
b. manifested and known.
6. Explain how the mystery is connected with the following:
a. the word of God:
b. the Gentiles:
7. How “inclusive” was Paul’s ministry?
8. What comfort or encouragement does “love” bring a church?
9. What type of understanding did Paul desire for all his brethren?
10. Can Christ tolerate the idea of making a religion out of the best of all religions? Why or why not?
11. What was Paul beholding with joy while absent from the Colossians?
12. “As therefore ye ________________ Christ Jesus the _______ so ___________________ in Him.”
13. Being established in the faith comes through teaching. (T) (F)
14. A Christian should be __________________ in thanksgiving. Why?
15. Summing Up: From this section of Scripture, write down how every facet of Paul’s ministry is related to Christ: