Click Arrow To Start Audio
EZRA – NEHEMIAH: LESSON THREE
I. RETURN UNDER EZRA (7-
A. Genealogy of Ezra (7:1-
B. Facts of journey from Babylon to Jerusalem (7:6-
1. God’s hand of blessing upon Ezra, the ready scribe (v. 6)
2. Six classes of people on journey (v.7)
3. Dates (v. 8-
a. Seventh year of Artaxerxes
b. Leave Babylon: first day of first month
c. Arrive in Jerusalem: first day of fifth month
4. Ezra prepared (v. 10)
C. Artaxerxes’ decree for helping Ezra in Jerusalem (7:11-
D. Ezra’s thanksgiving for God’s hand in the King’s generosity (7:27-
E. Genealogy of the chief men who went with Ezra to Jerusalem (8:15-
F. Circumstances of the journey from Babylon to Jerusalem (8:15-
1. Ezra’s urgent call at the river for Levites to make trip (v. 15-
2. Ezra declares fast at river of Ahava to ask for God’s protection during the trip (v. 21-
3. Ezra assigns priests to watch over the gifts of gold, silver and vessels until they present them in the house of God in Jerusalem (v. 24-
G. After three days rest in Jerusalem, the more pressing commissions executed (8:32-
1. Gifts weighed in house of God (v. 32-
2. Burnt offerings-
3. King’s order given to Persian rulers that blesses Israel (v. 36).
1. Ezra traces his family back to _______________________.
2. In verses 6-
3. Ezra made request of the king to go to Jerusalem. (T) (F)
4. Who is the king of Persia at the time of Ezra’s return to Jerusalem?
5. How long did the trip take for Ezra and his group to travel from Babylon to Jerusalem?
6. The Persian king, in his letter, recognized Jehovah as the _____________ of __________________.
7. From whom had the silver, gold and vessels been gathered?
8. Why was the Persian king so willingly to provide the house of God with abundant provisions?
9. All connected with the service in the house of God were exempted from taxes to the king. (T) (F)
10. The king authorized Ezra to appoint _____________________ in Jerusalem.
11. God put in the Persian king’s heart the desire to _________________ the house of the Lord in Jerusalem.
12. How many males went up with Ezra to Jerusalem?
13. At the river of Ahava, what did Ezra see that he did not have?
14. At the river of Ahava, why did Ezra proclaim a fast?
15. At the river of Ahava, Ezra charged twelve priests with what responsibility?
16. How long were Ezra and his group encamped at the river of Ahava?
17. What three principle things did Ezra and his people do after three days in Jerusalem?
EZRA – NEHEMIAH: LESSON FOUR
I. MINISTRY OF REFORM – PUTTING AWAY FOREIGN WIVES (9-
A. Ezra hears and reacts to sin (9:1-
1. “Holy seed have mingled themselves with the peoples of the land” (v. 2).
2. Ezra tears garments and plucks hair in horror and grief (v. 3-
B. Ezra confesses sin on behalf of Israel and prays (9:5-
C. Ezra encouraged to make covenant: put away foreign wives (10:1-
1. Proposed by Shecaniah (v. 1-
2. Ezra’s fast (v.6)
3. Proclamation summoning all Jews to Jerusalem (v. 7-
4. Ezra’s address and people’s confession of sin (v. 10-
5. Work accomplished (v. 16-
D. List of those who had married foreigners by whom some had children (10:18-
1. Priests (v. 18-
2. Levites: including singers and porters (v. 23-
3. Son’s of Israel (v. 25-
1. Where did God command Israel not to marry women from the peoples of the land?
2. Why did God give such a law?
3. From whom did Ezra learn of sin of Israel?
4. Who had been foremost in committing this sin?
5. How did Ezra react to the news of sin among his people?
6. Why did Ezra confess the sins of the people?
7. What do you learn from Ezra’s prayer that made this sin so grievous?
8. Who encouraged Ezra to lead people to make the covenant with God to put away their foreign wives?
Why is this especially commendable?
9. What was the penalty for not heeding the proclamation to assemble in Jerusalem in three days?
10. What two reasons caused the people to tremble when they assembled in Jerusalem?
11. What did Ezra command the people to do regarding their unlawful marriages?
12. Why do you think Meshullam might have stood up against Ezra’s plan?
13. How long did it take to examine and solve the problem of foreign wives?
14. God would never want me to leave an unlawful marriage when innocent children are involved. (T) (F)