Click Arrow To Start Audio
EZRA – NEHEMIAH: LESSON SIX
I. OVERCOMING OPPOSITION IN BUILDING THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM (Chapters 4-
A. Nehemiah prepares for forced stoppage of building the walls (4:1-
1. Prayer and work overcome mockery of Sanballat and Tobiah (v.1-
2. Prayer and guards placed in the open prepare for possible sneak attack (v. 7-
3. Builders armed and around-
B. Nehemiah orders the oppression of the poor brethren to cease (5:1-
1. Practice of usury to stop (v. 1-
2. Nehemiah’s account of his twelve year (445-
C. Nehemiah completes wall despite secret proceedings of Sanballat and his allies to hinder the building work (6:1-
1. Nehemiah refuses five proposals of enemy to meet them in the plain of Ono (v. 1-
2. Nehemiah overcomes false open letter with strength of God (v. 5-
3. Nehemiah overcomes fear tactics of bribed prophet Shemaiah and prophetess Noadiah (v. 10-
4. Wall completed in fifty-
a. Tobiah, using his connection by marriage to the Jews with many letters to put Nehemiah in fear, fails.
D. Nehemiah prepares for security and numerical increase for Jerusalem (7:1-
1. Levites appointed to guard gates of Jerusalem (v.1).
2. Hanani and Hananiah given charge over Jerusalem with instructions concerning the closing and opening of the gates (v. 2-
3. Census planned and register found of those who first came to Jerusalem under Zerubbabel (v. 4-
1. If the builders of the wall took seriously the mockery cast at them by Sanballat and Tobiah, describe how they would regard their rebuilding work.
2. Despite the mockery, the walls were built unto what degree of completion?
3. What two factors helped them overcome the mockery unto this degree of completion?
4. What action did the builders’ enemies employ when mockery did not work?
5. What action did Nehemiah take to overcome this move from the enemy?
6. What were the builders to remember to overcome their fear?
7. What three circumstances led the poor in Jerusalem to cry out?
8. What is the sin of “usury?”
9. What action did Nehemiah take to remedy the cry of the poor brethren?
10. Describe the first twelve years of Nehemiah’s governorship as it related to his own people.
11. Name four tactics Sanballat and his allies used against Nehemiah to hinder his rebuilding efforts?
12. How did Nehemiah overcome the hindering tactics?
13. What measures were taken by Nehemiah to protect Jerusalem?
14. Why did Nehemiah want to reckon the people by genealogy?
15. What did Nehemiah find when he began to desire to reckon the people by genealogy?