Click Arrow To Start Audio
EZRA – NEHEMIAH: LESSON SIX
I. OVERCOMING OPPOSITION IN BUILDING THE WALLS OF JERUSALEM (Chapters 4-
A. Nehemiah prepares for forced stoppage of building the walls (4:1-
1. Prayer and work overcome mockery of Sanballat and Tobiah (v.1-
2. Prayer and guards placed in the open prepare for possible sneak attack (v. 7-
3. Builders armed and around-
B. Nehemiah orders the oppression of the poor brethren to cease (5:1-
1. Practice of usury to stop (v. 1-
2. Nehemiah’s account of his twelve year (445-
C. Nehemiah completes wall despite secret proceedings of Sanballat and his allies to hinder the building work (6:1-
1. Nehemiah refuses five proposals of enemy to meet them in the plain of Ono (v. 1-
2. Nehemiah overcomes false open letter with strength of God (v. 5-
3. Nehemiah overcomes fear tactics of bribed prophet Shemaiah and prophetess Noadiah (v. 10-
4. Wall completed in fifty-
a. Tobiah, using his connection by marriage to the Jews with many letters to put Nehemiah in fear, fails.
D. Nehemiah prepares for security and numerical increase for Jerusalem (7:1-
1. Levites appointed to guard gates of Jerusalem (v.1).
2. Hanani and Hananiah given charge over Jerusalem with instructions concerning the closing and opening of the gates (v. 2-
3. Census planned and register found of those who first came to Jerusalem under Zerubbabel (v. 4-
1. If the builders of the wall took seriously the mockery cast at them by Sanballat and Tobiah, describe how they would regard their rebuilding work.
2. Despite the mockery, the walls were built unto what degree of completion?
3. What two factors helped them overcome the mockery unto this degree of completion?
4. What action did the builders’ enemies employ when mockery did not work?
5. What action did Nehemiah take to overcome this move from the enemy?
6. What were the builders to remember to overcome their fear?
7. What three circumstances led the poor in Jerusalem to cry out?
8. What is the sin of “usury?”
9. What action did Nehemiah take to remedy the cry of the poor brethren?
10. Describe the first twelve years of Nehemiah’s governorship as it related to his own people.
11. Name four tactics Sanballat and his allies used against Nehemiah to hinder his rebuilding efforts?
12. How did Nehemiah overcome the hindering tactics?
13. What measures were taken by Nehemiah to protect Jerusalem?
14. Why did Nehemiah want to reckon the people by genealogy?
15. What did Nehemiah find when he began to desire to reckon the people by genealogy?
EZRA – NEHEMIAH: LESSON SEVEN
I. NEHEMIAH: CONSECRATING THE PEOPLE WITH THE LAW (Chapters 8-
A. The Law of Moses is read and expounded to the people (8:1-
B. The people are instructed concerning the feast of trumpets (8:9-
C. The people are instructed to keep the feast of tabernacles (8:13-
D. A day of penitence and prayer is observed (9:1-
E. The covenant is sealed (9:38-
F. The people take oaths to keep the Law (10:28-
G. Provisions are made for the temple service (10:32-
1. In Nehemiah 8:1-
2. What did the priests and Levites do in connection to Ezra’s reading of the Law of Moses?
3. Why were the people sad when they heard the reading of the Law?
4. What feast was to be observed on the first day of the seventh month?
5. What were the people instructed to do instead of being sad?
6. What made the people strong in Nehemiah’s day that is the secret of our strength today?
7. What feast did the people keep when they dwelt in booths?
8. This feast had not been observed since the days of Joshua. (T) (F)
9. With __________________ the people kept this feast for _______________ days.
10. On the 24th. day of the seventh month, what two things did the people do?
11. God is not only the Creator of all things but He ___________________ all things.
12. How do you know that the land promise to Israel has been fulfilled?
13. How do you know that keeping the Sabbath day was not commanded from the beginning of time in Eden?
14. From the experiences of Israel, illustrate the following characteristics of God:
15. From observing the experiences of Israel, is it true that people will turn away from God in “good times” as well as “bad times?”
16. How was the covenant in chapter 9 sealed?
17. In the peoples’ oath to walk in God’s Law, what two specific requirements are mentioned?
18. To help provide provisions for the temple, the people were to pay the half-
19. What was provided by the casting of lots among the priests, Levites and the people?
20. Besides tithing, the people of Israel provided for the house of God by giving the __________________________.