Click Arrow To Start Audio
ISAIAH – LESSON EIGHT
I. A TRIOLOGY: PROPHECIES CONCERNING AND BURDEN UPON ETHIOPIA-
A. Prophecy concerning Ethiopia: An event of God’s doing will occur that will cause Ethiopia to bring a present unto God (18:1-
1. Messengers sent back to Ethiopia to wait for the coming event.
2. God has been sitting still waiting for the harvest: defeat of Assyria.
3. God’s authority will be acknowledged in Ethiopia (cf. 2 Kings 32:23).
B. The burden and future blessings for Egypt (19:1-
1. Burdens: (v.1-
a. Internal civil war (v.1-
b. Blessings from Nile dried up (v.5-
c. The wise princes of Zoan and Memphis lead people astray as a disorientated drunk (v.11-
2. God’s strong actions cause Egypt to tremble (v.15-
3. Blessings (v.16-
a. Five cities began to speak in the language of Canaan – One city named “destruction” (v.18).
b. Altar and pillar as sign and witness at the border of Egypt for Jehovah’s deliverance (V.19-
c. Egypt – Assyria-
C. Prophecy of Assyria taking captive Egypt and Ethiopia (20:1-
1. Ashdod taken by Assyria: Sargon.
2. Isaiah’s three year portrayal of upcoming shame upon Egypt-
3. Philistia dismayed for Egypt and Ethiopia are unable to help them against Assyria’s invasion.
1. Why might Ethiopia and Egypt be combined in chapters 18-
2. Is chapter 18 a burden of judgment or a prophecy of blessing concerning Ethiopia?
3. Describe the people and the land of Ethiopia.
4. What is God doing as an important event affecting Ethiopia is approaching?
5. What event in history could Isaiah be prophecying about in chapter 18?
6. What will the Ethiopians do when the enemy is cut down?
7. What will cause the Spirit of Egypt to fail?
8. What three industries will be affected by the drying up of the Nile?
9. Why are Zoan and Memphis two important cities of Egypt?
10. What will cause Egypt to tremble?
11. Why is one of the five cities pointed out as the city of “destruction” in the midst of the portion of the prophecy dealing with blessings for Egypt?
12. How will Assyria, Egypt and Israel be recognized by God when they all become a blessing in the midst of the earth?
13. When will the blessings for Egypt be fulfilled in verses 18-
14. Who was Tartan?
15. When was the prophecy in Isaiah 20 given?
16. Why was the Philistian city of Ashdod so important to Egypt and Ethiopia?
17. What sign did Isaiah demonstrate for three years?
18. Why will the inhabitant of the coast-