Click Arrow To Start Audio
GOSPEL OF JOHN: LESSON 2
II. CHRIST MANIFESTED AS THE SON TO DISCIPLES – THE FIRST MIRACLE (1:19-
A. The witness of John (1:19-
1. Place: in Bethany beyond the Jordan
2. Occasion: Jews sending priests and Levites to ask questions regarding John’s identity
3. John denies being the Messiah, Elijah, or the Prophet of prophecy, but claims to be the voice crying in the wilderness of Isaiah’s prophecy
4. John’s humility: unworthy to unloose latchet of Jesus’ shoes
5. John’s twofold testimony:
a. Jesus is the lamb of God – takes away the sin of the world
b. Jesus is the Son of God – signified by the descending dove at baptism of Jesus.
B. Jesus manifested to disciples (1:35-
1. John and two of His disciples (Andrew one of them) spend remainder of the day with Jesus
2. Andrew tells Cephas that he has found the Messiah.
a. Jesus tells Cephas his name shall be called Peter – stone
3. Next day, Philip called by Jesus to follow Him.
4. Philip finds Nathanael revealing that the one Moses and the law wrote about is present – Nathanael becomes believer after discourse with Jesus.
a. Jesus tells of private things concerning Nathanael.
b. Jesus tells of greater things – heaven open with ascending and descending angels upon the Son of man.
C. Manifestation of miraculous power by turning water into wine (2:1-
1. Occasion: marriage feast in Cana of Galilee – wine supply depleted
2. Problem made known to Jesus by his mother – Jesus’ verbal response
3. Jesus requests that the servants fill six water pots with water – approximately 150 gallons.
a. Good wine drawn out
b. Beginning of Jesus’ miraculous signs.
1. Who all did John deny being?
2. Were the ones John denied being promised to come in O.T. prophecy?
Give Scripture to support your answer.
3. What was one prophecy John fulfilled?
4. What statement of John expressed his humility?
5. What two identifying statements did John make concerning Jesus?
6. Why did John come baptizing in water?
7. How did John know the Messiah?
8. Who, according to Philip, wrote about Jesus?
9. Describe the attitude of Nathanael toward Jesus BEFORE and then AFTER meeting Him.
10. What happened to change Nathanael’s mind concerning Jesus?
11. What did Jesus promise Nathanael that he would see that was greater than what he had already seen?
12. When finding Jesus, what were the disciples moved to do next?
13. Explain Jesus’ statement to His mother: “Woman, what have I to do with thee? Mine hour is not yet come.”
14. For what use were the water pots and how much did they hold?
15. Does “good wine” necessarily mean potent intoxicating wine?
16. Over what did Jesus show His power in turning water into wine?
GOSPEL OF JOHN: LESSON 3
III. CHRIST MANIFESTED AS THE SON OF GOD AMONG MEN (2:12-
A. Manifested to Jews in Jerusalem during Passover (2:12-
1. Jesus drives out money changers in temple with scourge of cords – Father’s house made house of merchandise.
a. “zeal for thy house shall eat me up” (Psm. 69:9)
2. Jews ask for sign of authority to drive men out of the temple – Jesus offers figurative sign of his resurrection.
a. Destroy this temple (Jesus’ body), I (Christ) will raise it up in three days.
b. Jesus’ own disciples remembered this AFTER Jesus was raised from the dead.
3. Many believed on Christ’s name – but Jesus does not trust Himself to men.
a. Believed through beholding the signs he did.
b. yet, Jesus knew all men and knew what was in man.
B. Manifested to Nicodemus (3:1-
1. Nicodemus understood through signs that Jesus was from God.
a. Rabbi – teacher
b. God indeed with Jesus.
2. Jesus proclaims that men must be born anew if they are to enter the kingdom of heaven.
a. Jesus speaks of spiritual birth.
b. Nicodemus thinks of physical birth.
3. As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness to save his people, Jesus as the Son of man must be lifted up (die) in order to save His people.
a. Manifestation of God’s great love.
b. Manifested not to judge, but to save.
(1). He that believeth, not judged – comes to the light
(2). He that believeth not is judged already
(3). Light has come – yet people love darkness and hate the reproving light.
C. John proclaims Jesus as the Son of God in Aenon, near Salim (3:22-
1. Jesus nearby in land of Judaea making disciples.
2. Question of purifying turns to question of Jesus’ greater popularity than John.
3. John proclaims that Christ is the Son of God and above all.
a. Jesus is the bridegroom – John the friend of the bridegroom
b. Jesus must increase – John must decrease.
c. Jesus comes from above – and above all.
d. Jesus speaks the words of God.
e. Jesus has received from His loving Father all things.
f. Therefore, He that believeth on Son hath eternal life – He that obeyeth not the Son has God’s wrath.
1. What occasion brings Jesus to Jerusalem?
2. Why does Jesus drive out the people and the animals from the temple?
3. What did Jesus’ disciples remember when they saw Him drive out the Jews from the temple?
4. In 2:18, to what two events do the Jews refer?
5. Did Jesus’ rejection by the Jews take God by surprise?
6. When did Jesus’ disciples understand His words?
7. Why did Jesus not trust Himself to men when they saw and believed His signs?
8. What did Nicodemus already know about Jesus? How?
9. What must happen before one can enter the kingdom of heaven?
10. When Jesus speaks of the mysterious wind in vs. 8, is He speaking of the NEW BIRTH or the ONE born anew?
11. Did Nicodemus understand the teachings of Jesus?
12. What event is understood in Jesus being “lifted up”?
13. To what event does this relate to in Moses’ day?
14. How does John 3:15 help us know the kind of faith necessary for salvation presented in John 3:16?
15. What did Jesus not come to earth to do?
16. How do people seal their judgment?
17. What was Jesus doing that caused some to come and question John?
18. What two facts does John present to show no problem existed between him and Jesus?
19. What did John testify as to the origin of Jesus?
20. What does “He giveth not the spirit by measure” mean in 3:34?
21. What conditions exist that keeps one from the wrath of God and allows one to enjoy eternal life?