Click Arrow To Start Audio
GOSPEL OF JOHN: LESSON 10
X. JESUS ALONE WITH HIS CHOSEN DISCIPLES (Chapters 15-
A. Jesus teaches lesson of vine, husbandman and branches (15:1-
1. Jesus – true life – sustaining vine
2. Father – pruning husbandman
3. Disciples – fruit bearing branches
B. Jesus reveals and commands LOVE (15:9-
1. Reveals God’s love – lay down life for friends
2. Abiding in God’s love demands keeping Lord’s commandments
3. Commands to love one another
C. Jesus reminds disciples of their relationship with the WORLD (15:18-
1. Not of the world – world hates you
2. World hates master – will hate master’s servants
3. To hate the Son is to hate the Father
4. Fulfilled prophecy: Jesus hated without a cause
D. Jesus points to the coming comforter, the Holy Spirit and chosen disciples (apostles) as bearing witness of Him(15:26-
E. Jesus warns disciples of difficult times – keep them from stumbling (16:1-
F. Jesus emphasizes need of going away to the Father – provides for coming of comforter – the Holy Spirit (16:6-
1. Holy Spirit will convict world of sin, judgment and righteousness.
2. Holy Spirit will guide disciples (apostles) into all truth – declare things to come.
3. Holy Spirit will declare things of God – includes Father and Son.
G. Jesus intimates of His coming death and the glorious things to follow (16:16-
1. In a little while, they will see Him no more – yet in a little, while they will see Him.
2. They will soon have sorrow – afterward, they will have joy.
3. Day coming of understanding – speak not in dark sayings.
4. Jesus questions disciples of their belief – hour will come when they will leave Jesus alone.
5. Jesus offers peace – has overcome world.
H. Jesus prays (Chapter 17)
1. For Himself – be glorified
2. For disciples (apostles) – be kept
3. For believers – be united
1. What is one way to glorify God?
2. Give the central point of Jesus’ allegory of the vine and branches:
3. How does one continue to abide in God’s love?
4. Why do you think some are not finding joy in their lives?
5. What difference does Jesus make between servants and friends?
6. Who is promised to receive anything if they ask it in the Lord’s name?
7. Why is there hatred in the world’s heart for the Christian?
8. Does 15:22 & 24 teach that “ignorance is bliss”?
9. Who is the “comforter”, and what would He do?
10. Why was Jesus telling His chosen disciples “these things”?
11. Why was it necessary for Jesus to go away?
12. Name three things the Holy Spirit would do to the world?
13. Name at least three things the Holy Spirit would do for the disciples (apostles)?
14. When would the “little while” occur when the disciples would see Jesus?
15. What point did Jesus illustrate with the birth of a child?
16. Why did Jesus ask His apostles, “Do you now believe?”?
17. What can we have in Christ? Upon what basis?
18. For what three reasons or groups did Jesus pray?
19. What was the work Jesus had accomplished?
20. What kind of unity does Jesus desire for His people?
21. Why did Jesus say He had and would declare God’s name?