Click Arrow To Start Audio
GOSPEL OF JOHN: LESSON 11
XI. JESUS CAPTURED AND SENTENCED TO DEATH (Chapters 18-
A. Jesus willingly seized in the garden (18:1-
1. Judas led soldiers and officers to well-
2. Jesus acknowledges, “I Am He” – captors fall to ground in astonishment.
3. Jesus rebukes Peter for cutting off right ear of Malchus in defense of Jesus-
B. Jesus questioned in presence of Annas and then Caiaphas (18:12-
1. Peter denies the Lord three times (18:15-
C. Jesus brought before Pilate for final sentencing (18:28-
1. Jesus confesses that He is king – kingdom not of this world
2. Pilate sees no fault worthy of death in Him-
D. Jesus crucified on Golgotha (19:17-
1. Soldiers part Jesus’ garment and cast lots for Jesus’ coat.
2. Jesus charges John to look after His mother.
3. Jesus thirsts – it is finished-
4. Jesus, already dead, is pierced in His side with a spear – bones not broken.
E. Jesus’ body prepared for burial by Joseph of Arimathaea and Nicodemus, and then placed in tomb (19:38-
1. Where is the brook Kidron located?
2. Did Judas and the Jews come prepared for a struggle in seizing Jesus?
3. What happened when Jesus said that He was Jesus of Nazareth?
4. Why was Peter admonished for using his sword?
5. What is “the cup” in 18:11?
6. Did any of the disciples enter the court when Jesus was taken before Annas?
7. Why did Jesus feel He did not have to answer about His teaching and disciples?
8. Did Jesus “turn the other cheek” when struck?
9. To whom was Jesus led after appearing before Annas?
10. Did Peter deny the Lord before just three people?
11. What was the Praetorium?
12. Did Jesus claim to be king?
13. Why did He question Pilate’s meaning of kingship?
14. Why did Pilate want to release Jesus in observance of the Passover?
15. Why did the chief priests and others say Jesus should die?
16. What did the soldiers do to Jesus?
17. From what source did Jesus claim Pilate’s power came?
18. What time was Jesus delivered up to be crucified?
19. Does Calvary and Golgotha mean the same?
20. What inscription did Pilate write on the cross?
21. In what language was it written?
22. What Old Testament Scripture was fulfilled when Jesus was on the cross?
23. Whom did Jesus charge to take care of His mother?
24. Why did the Jews want the bodies removed quickly from the cross?
25. What two men came to prepare Jesus’ body for burial?
26. Why would the place Jesus’s body was buried be strong evidence for His resurrection?
GOSPEL OF JOHN: LESSON 12
XII. JESUS’ RESURRECTION AND APPEARANCES BEFORE HIS DISCIPLES (Chapters 20-
A. Jesus raised from the dead and appears to Mary Magdalene (20:1-
1. Mary sees stone removed from Jesus’ tomb and tells Peter and John (v. 1-
2. Peter and John run to empty tomb (v. 3-
a. John looks in to see linen grave clothes lying
b. Peter enters tomb and sees linen clothes lying, and rolled up in place by itself.
c. Peter and John return to their home not comprehending the Scripture that foretold Jesus’ resurrection.
3. Jesus stands before Mary (v. 11-
a. Two angels in tomb ask her why she is crying
b. Jesus asks her why she is crying
c. Jesus tells her not to touch Him – He has not ascended to Father yet.
d. Jesus instructs her to tell brethren of his ascension
e. Mary tells disciples that she has seen the Lord and relates His sayings.
B. Jesus appears to disciples on Sunday evening (20:19-
1. Jesus speaks peace.
2. Jesus shows hands and side for proof of his crucifixion and death.
3. Jesus breathes on them – command to receive the Holy Spirit-
4. Thomas absent – desires proof of Jesus
C. Jesus appears to disciples with Thomas present (20:26-
1. Eight days later
2. Thomas confesses Jesus as his Lord and God
3. Jesus pronounces blessing on those who have not seen, yet believe.
D. Purpose given for Jesus’ recorded miracles – that reader might believe in the deity of Jesus and trust Him for eternal life (20:30-
E. Jesus appears to disciples at Sea of Tiberias (21:1-
1. Seven disciples fishing
2. Jesus causes unprofitable fishermen’s net to be filled with 153 great fishes – yet net not rent.
3. Jesus stresses the character of love upon the mind of Peter.
4. Jesus predicts the circumstances surrounding Peter’s death
5. Jesus emphasizes the personal responsibility of discipleship
F. John closes gospel with affirmation of truthfulness and statement emphasizing the glorious work of Jesus (21:24-
1. On what day did Mary Magdalene come to the tomb?
2. What did Mary see and conclude?
3. What proof of the resurrection did Peter and John see when they came to the tomb?
4. What lesson was Jesus conveying to Mary by saying, “touch me not”?
5. Who was the first person to see the Lord following His resurrection?
6. How did Jesus prove His identity to His disciples?
7. Explain the purpose of Jesus breathing on His disciples:
8. Who was absent from the first meeting of Jesus and His disciples and what did he demand?
9. Was Thomas a weak “doubter”?
10. Upon whom does the Lord pronounce a beatitude?
11. What is another name for the Sea of Tiberias?
12. What did Jesus command His fishing disciples to do?
13. Who first recognized that the man on the beach was Jesus?
Who first acted on the knowledge?
14. How many fishes did the disciples net?
15. What three things did the disciples see when they came to land?
16. What appearance was this of Jesus before His disciples?
17. In verse 15, to whom or what does the word “these” refer?
18. What is common and different in the words, “tend” and “feed”?
19. What about Jesus’ remarks grieved Peter?
20. After telling about Peter’s death, what did Jesus tell Peter to do?
21. What was Peter’s response to Jesus’ command?
22. What misunderstanding did the disciples have of Jesus’ remarks to Peter?
23. What is affirmed about John’s testimony?
24. What does 21:25 say about the deeds of Christ that are recorded?