Click Arrow To Start Audio
LUKE – LESSON 2
I. The Promise Of Jesus’ Birth And John’s Birth Fulfilled (1:26-
A. Gabriel’s promise to Mary of virgin birth (1:26-
1. Gabriel announces God’s favor upon Mary in Nazareth.
2. Promise of Jesus’ greatness in His unending kingdom
3. Holy Spirit shall overshadow Mary – the Begotten will be called the Son of God.
4. Elisabeth’s pregnancy proof of God’s word is not void of power.
B. Mary visits Elisabeth in Judah for three months (1:39-
1. The babe leaps in Elisabeth’s womb when Mary salutes her.
2. Mary magnifies the Lord.
C. Birth of John and childhood (1:57-
1. Neighbors and kinsfolk rejoice with Elisabeth at birth of son.
2. Zacharias again speaks at circumcision and naming of son.
3. Zacharias prophecies about salvation from the Lord and John’s future as God’s prophet.
4. John grows and waxes strong in spirit in the deserts.
1. How much older was John than Jesus?
2. What was Mary’s relationship with Joseph?
3. Gabriel said Mary had ________________ _______________ with God? How?
4. How does Luke teach the “virgin birth” of Jesus?
5. Contrast Mary’s reception of Gabriel’s announcement of the birth of a son to Zacharias’ reception of Gabriel’s earlier announcement:
6.. What three great fact does Gabriel announce concerning Jesus?
7. What example does Gabriel give Mary to prove, “For no word from God shall be void of power.”?
8. What happened to Elisabeth when Mary came to see her in Judah?
9. How did Elisabeth know that Mary was “the mother of my Lord”?
10. What comforting fact do we learn about God from Mary magnifying the Lord?
11. How long did Mary stay with Elisabeth?
12. What two events occurred on the 8th. day of a Jewish boy’s life?
13. What caused all to wonder saying, “What then shall this child be?”?
14. When Zacharias prophesied he was ____________________ with ________ ________.
15. To what is Zacharias referring in his prophecy in 1:68-
16. Who spoke by the mouths of the prophets of old?
17. What was John going to be called, and what was he to do?
18. Who is the “dayspring” in 1:78? What was his mission?
19. What three facts do you know about the childhood of John?