Click Arrow To Start Audio
LUKE – LESSON 3
I. THE BIRTH OF JESUS (2:1-
A. The enrollment bringing Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem (v.1-
1. Commanded by Augustus.
2. Joseph and Mary must register in Bethlehem – the city of his family.
B. Mary gives birth (v.6-
1. Mary wraps babe – “swaddling clothes.”
2. Mary lays babe in animal feeding trough – “manager.”
C. The angelic announcement of birth to shepherds (v. 8-
1. Angel of the Lord announces to shepherds the birth of a “Saviour, who is Christ the Lord.
a. Angel appears to shepherds in field watching over flock at night.
b. Angel appearing in glorious light tells shepherds not to be afraid.
c. Angel gives shepherds the sign: “Ye shall find a babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, and lying in a manger.”
2. Multitude of angels praise God and glory in the coming of peace.
3. Angels go back into heaven.
D. Shepherds verify the birth of a Savior in Bethlehem (v. 15b-
1. They go in haste and find babe in manger with Mary and Joseph.
2. They make known to all the angelic announcement.
a. All wonder.
b. Mary ponders.
3. They return to their duties glorifying and praising God.
1. What two historic figures were in power when Jesus was born?
2. What was the purpose of “enrollment?”
3. Why did Joseph and Mary travel to Bethlehem for the enrollment?
4. How far was Bethlehem from Nazareth?
5. Was the providence of God at work in Jesus being born in Bethlehem?
6. Jesus was Mary’s ___________________________ child.
7 Describe the type of clothing Mary put on her babe?
8. Where was baby Jesus placed when He was born?
9. Where were the shepherds, and what were they doing when the angel appeared unto them?
10. Who did the angel of the Lord say was born in the city of David?
11. For what did the multitude of angels praise God regarding the birth of Jesus?
12. How did the shepherds verify “the sign” given them by the angel of the Lord?
13. What did Mary do when she heard the shepherds tell of the angelic announcements?
14. Does the New Testament teach that Jesus was born on December 25th.?
15. Where did the celebration of “Christmas” originate?
LUKE – LESSON 4
I. THE EARLY CHILDHOOD OF JESUS UNDER THE LAW OF MOSES (2:21-
A. Jesus circumcised on His eighth day (v. 21)
B. Jesus presented in the temple (v. 22-
1. Jesus redeemed according to the law when days of purification are completed (v. 22-
2. Simeon prophecies and thanks God for seeing in Jesus the consolation of Israel and the light to the Gentiles
a. Jesus’ parents in wonderment
b. Mary told of the child’s destiny and His effect upon Israel.
3. Anna thanks God for seeing in Jesus Jerusalem’s redemption (v. 36-
4. Jesus and parents return to Nazareth (v. 39; cf. Matt. 2:1-
C. Jesus continues to grow in physical strength and spiritual wisdom (v. 40).
1. Gods favor is upon Him.
D. Jesus, at the age of twelve travels to Jerusalem with parents for Passover feast (v. 41-
1. After returning for home Jesus’ parents realize Jesus’s absence – return to Jerusalem to find Him.
2. Parents find Jesus in temple in midst of teachers who marvel at His questions and answers.
3. Jesus reminds His mother of His mission – “my Father’s business.”
E. Jesus returns to Nazareth with parents (v. 51-
1. Jesus submits to parents.
2. Jesus grows in wisdom and stature.
3. Jesus grows in favor with God and men.
1. What two actions occurred on Jesus’ eighth day of physical life?
2. Coming to Jerusalem to offer the sacrifices for “purification” occurred after (a) 31 days (b) 40 days (c) 80 days of Jesus’ birth.
3. Who needed to be “purified?”
4. What does the sacrifice offered by Jesus’ parents say about their monetary status at this time in Jerusalem?
5. Explain why Jesus needed to be presented before the Lord and “redeemed?”
6. Explain what Simeon was looking for?
7. What had the Holy Spirit revealed to Simeon?
8. In Jesus, Simeon saw the Lord’s ________________ which He prepared for ______________ ___________________.
9. Simeon saw these things in Jesus by his own insight (T) (F)
10. What three facts did Simeon prophesy concerning the future of the child Jesus?
11. What do you know about Anna that contradicts the “ten lost tribes of Israel” doctrine of some Premillennialists?
12. For what reason did the prophetess Anna gives thanks to God?
13. Anna was at least _________________ years old. Has she lost her spiritual enthusiasm and vigor?
14. What processes took place in Jesus when He and His family returned to Nazareth?
15. What was significant of Jesus coming to Jerusalem for the feast of the Passover at the age of twelve?
16. Why was the twelve-
17. Where did the parents of Jesus find Him when they returned to Jerusalem?
18. What amazed the Jewish teachers about Jesus?
19. What did Jesus say when His sorrowing parents questioned Him? Did His parents understand His statement?
20. Jesus went back with His parents to Nazareth and He was _________________unto _________________.
21. As a young child, Jesus advanced in __________________ and __________________.
22. God’s favor and men’s favor can come upon the same person at the same time. (T) (F)