Click Arrow To Start Audio
LUKE – LESSON 5
I. THE MINISTRY OF JOHN AND THE PREPARATION OF JESUS (3:1-
A. John preaches the baptism of repentance (3:1-
1. Word of God comes to John in the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar’s reign (v. 1-
2. John’s preaching in the wilderness, preparing the way of the Lord, fulfills Isaiah’s prophecy (cf. Isa. 40:3ff.) (v. 4-
3. John teaches multitude on how to bring forth fruit unto repentance in their personal lives (v. 7-
4. John prophecies of Jesus coming to baptize in the Holy Spirit and in fire (v. 15-
5. John preaches good tidings, but is imprisoned for reproving Herod for his unlawful marriage relationship with Herodias (v. 18-
B. Jesus baptized (3:21-
1. Jesus prays.
2. Testimony of the Father in Heaven that Jesus is His beloved Son.
C. Jesus’ genealogy (3:23-
1. Jesus begins to teach at the age of approximately 30 years.
2. Jesus’ family tree is traced back to Adam.
D. Jesus tempted by the Devil (4:1-
1. Tempted in hunger – lust of the flesh (v. 1-
a. Devil challenges Jesus to turn stone into bread.
b. Jesus overcomes with: “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone…”.
2. Tempted with authority over all the earth – lust of the eyes (v. 5-
a. Devil offers the kingdoms of the earth if Jesus will worship before the Devil.
b. Jesus overcomes with: “It is written, thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.”
3. Tempted with defying natural law – pride of life (v. 9-
a. Devil quotes Scripture challenging Jesus to fulfill them by jumping off the pinnacle of the temple.
b. Jesus overcomes with: “It is said, thou shalt not make trial of the Lord thy God.”
4. Devil completes temptation and departs from Jesus for a season (v. 13).
(a). Tiberius Caesar Imprisoned John the Baptist
(b). Pontius Pilate Ruled over area near Damascus
(c). Herod tetrarch of Galilee Began sole reign in A.D. 14
(d). Philip tetrarch of Ituraea High Priest from A.D. 6-
(e). Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene Fifth ruler over Judaea
(f). Annas High Priest from A.D. 18-
(g). Caiaphas Ruled over territory east of Jordan River
2. John preached the baptism of _________________ unto _______________ of _________________.
3. What prophecy did John and his preaching fulfill? How did John fulfill it?
4. How did John emphasize the importance of bearing proper fruit to the Jews?
5. John taught that benevolence is a personal responsibility (T) (F).
John taught that publicans should quit their line of work (T) (F).
John taught soldiers that they should not abuse authority and be content with their wages (T) (F).
6. How did John distinguish himself from Jesus unto the multitudes?
7. What two baptisms did John say Jesus would administer? Explain their connection:
8. For what reasons did John reprove Herod?
9. What four things occurred at Jesus’ baptism?
10. Jesus was about what age when He began to teach?
11. How does Luke’s genealogy of Jesus differ from that found in Matthew? Are they contradictory?
12. Who led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil?
13. What three temptations did Jesus endure? How did He overcome each one? What insight do you gain for our own temptations?
14. What lessons do you learn form the fact that the Devil referred to Scripture?
15. After the Devil is unsuccessful in His temptations, He departs to come again later (T) (F).