Click Arrow To Start Audio
LUKE – LESSON 20
I. JESUS’ LAST WEEK IN JERUSALEM (Part 1) (19:45-
A. Jesus enters temple area and cleanses it by driving out those who sold oxen and sheep (19:45-
1. Jesus continues to teach daily in the temple – people listen, and authorities seek the opportunity to destroy Him.
B. Jesus’ authority questioned: Jesus offers a counter-
C. Jesus teaches the Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen-
D. Jesus hears captious questions and give authoritative answers (20:19-
E. Jesus asks probing questions concerning the Christ being David’s son (20:41-
F. Jesus warns of and denounces the ways of the scribes (20:45-
1. What was one of the first acts of Jesus when He entered Jerusalem? Had He done this before?
2. What had those who sold make the temple out to be?
(a). The chief priests:
(b). The scribes:
(c). The elders:
4. What hindered the authorities from killing Jesus when they desired to do so?
5. Explain what Jesus was teaching and preaching?
6. Why did Jesus not answer directly the question about the authority behind His deeds?
7. What are two sources for authority? What were the implications of each source regarding the baptism of John?
8. In the Parable of the Husbandmen, who did they characterize?
9. What was the Lord of the vineyard going to do to the husbandmen? What was the reaction of the scribes and chief priests?
10. What two characteristics of “the stone” does Jesus present? To whom or what does Psalm 118:22 refer?
11. What plan did the Jewish authorities execute in order to deliver Jesus up to the governor? Was it successful?
12. In the realm of serving God, is there room to pay tribute to civil governments? How would Jesus answer this question?
13. What did the Sadducees teach?
14. What was the basis for their proposed circumstance, presented as a difficult question unto Jesus?
15. Why was the question not difficult for Jesus to answer?
16. Jesus used what method of teaching to establish the fact of the resurrection from the dead?
17. What was Jesus proving by referring to Psalm110:1?
18. Why will the scribes receive “greater condemnation?”
LUKE – LESSON 21
I. JESUS’ LAST WEEK IN JERUSALEM (Part 2) (21:1-
A. Jesus commends the offering of the poor widow (v. 1-
B. Jesus prophesies concerning the destruction of the temple (v. 5-
1. Occasioned by some speaking of the temple’s great adornments (v. 5-
2. Warnings from events that do not point to imminent end (v. 8-
(a). Those coming in Christ’s name: saying “I am He.”
(b). Wars and tumults
(c). Earthquakes, famines and pestilence
(d). Persecution of disciples
3. Desolation at hand when Jerusalem is compassed with armies (v. 20-
(a). Days of vengeance
(b). Woe to those with child
(c). Some will fall by the sword.
(d). Some will be carried away to captivity.
(e). Powers of heaven shaken
(f). Son of Man coming in judgment of God
(g). Lift head – redemption is drawing nigh.
4. Parable of Fig Tree – and all trees -
5. Exhortation to watch (v. 34-
C. Jesus spends days in the temple teaching, and nights on Mount Olivet (v. 37-
1. Where were the rich and the poor widow casting their offerings?
2. From the example of the poor widow, how does Jesus look at our offerings?
3. What were some saying about the temple that caused Jesus to prophesy of its destruction?
4. What two questions were asked of Jesus concerning the temple’s destruction?
5. What three warnings does Jesus give to help His hearers not be led astray concerning the time of the temple’s destruction?
6. What would happen to His apostles before the temple would be destroyed?
7. What does Jesus tell His apostles not to do? Why? Give an example of this prediction coming true:
8. Explain the apparent contradiction between “some of you shall they cause to be put to death” (v. 16) and “not a hair of your head shall perish” (v. 18).
9. What was the sign Jesus gave indicating the destruction of the temple was imminent?
10. When did the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem occur? Jesus promised it would be a time of __________________________. Explain.
11. What did the signs in the heavens signify?
12. What did seeing the Son of man coming in a cloud signify?
13. Who would see it?
14. What lesson is to be learned from the Parable of the Fig Tree and all trees?
15. What were the hearers to do in order to escape the coming destruction? Does this have meaning for us today?
16. How did Jesus spend His time during His last week before His death?