Click Arrow To Start Audio
LUKE – LESSON 21
I. JESUS’ LAST WEEK IN JERUSALEM (Part 2) (21:1-
A. Jesus commends the offering of the poor widow (v. 1-
B. Jesus prophesies concerning the destruction of the temple (v. 5-
1. Occasioned by some speaking of the temple’s great adornments (v. 5-
2. Warnings from events that do not point to imminent end (v. 8-
(a). Those coming in Christ’s name: saying “I am He.”
(b). Wars and tumults
(c). Earthquakes, famines and pestilence
(d). Persecution of disciples
3. Desolation at hand when Jerusalem is compassed with armies (v. 20-
(a). Days of vengeance
(b). Woe to those with child
(c). Some will fall by the sword.
(d). Some will be carried away to captivity.
(e). Powers of heaven shaken
(f). Son of Man coming in judgment of God
(g). Lift head – redemption is drawing nigh.
4. Parable of Fig Tree – and all trees -
5. Exhortation to watch (v. 34-
C. Jesus spends days in the temple teaching, and nights on Mount Olivet (v. 37-
1. Where were the rich and the poor widow casting their offerings?
2. From the example of the poor widow, how does Jesus look at our offerings?
3. What were some saying about the temple that caused Jesus to prophesy of its destruction?
4. What two questions were asked of Jesus concerning the temple’s destruction?
5. What three warnings does Jesus give to help His hearers not be led astray concerning the time of the temple’s destruction?
6. What would happen to His apostles before the temple would be destroyed?
7. What does Jesus tell His apostles not to do? Why? Give an example of this prediction coming true:
8. Explain the apparent contradiction between “some of you shall they cause to be put to death” (v. 16) and “not a hair of your head shall perish” (v. 18).
9. What was the sign Jesus gave indicating the destruction of the temple was imminent?
10. When did the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem occur? Jesus promised it would be a time of __________________________. Explain.
11. What did the signs in the heavens signify?
12. What did seeing the Son of man coming in a cloud signify?
13. Who would see it?
14. What lesson is to be learned from the Parable of the Fig Tree and all trees?
15. What were the hearers to do in order to escape the coming destruction? Does this have meaning for us today?
16. How did Jesus spend His time during His last week before His death?