Click Arrow To Start Audio
JUDGES: LESSON FOUR
IV. THE JUDGESHIP OF DEBORAH AND BARAK’S DEFEAT OF THE CANAANITES (Chapter 5)
A. A song of praise to Jehovah (5:1-
1. Bless Jehovah – leaders lead and people willingly to follow to war.
2. Praise Jehovah – worthy for all kings to hear.
3. The awesome presence of Jehovah – remembrance in Seir and Sinai.
B. A song of deliverance from misery (5:6-
1. All traffic regulated to the byways in the days of Shamgar – overrun by the Philistines.
2. Deborah arose as a mother to Israel to relieve Israel’s misery.
3. Cause of misery: idolatry.
4. A blessing that should be told by nobles and people who walk by the way.
C. A song of praise for the fighting remnant (5:12-
1. Led by an awakened Deborah and an encouraged Barak.
2. People from the tribes of Ephraim, Benjamin, Manasseh (Machir), Issachar and Zebulun all
join in the fight.
3. People from tribes of Reuben, Dan, Asher and Gad (people of Gilead) did not join in the fight.
D. A song of praise for Jehovah fighting against the slaughter-
1. The inhabitants of Meroz cursed for not helping Jehovah fight against the mighty.
E. A song of blessing for Jael in killing Sisera (5:24-
F. A song of woe for Sisera’s anxious mother (5:28-
G. A song of victory for God’s people (5:31)
1. Let Jehovah’s enemies perish.
2. Let them that love Jehovah shine forth as the might sun.
1. What did the leaders and people do to cause Deborah to bless Jehovah?
2. What were the conditions in Israel before Deborah arose?
3. Why did some not join in the fight with Deborah and Barak?
4. What did the people of the tribe of Zebulun do that was praised?
5. What lesson do we learn from the inhabitants of Meroz?
6. How would Sisera’s mother be answered when she questioned the lateness of Sisera’s return home from the war with Israel?