Click Arrow To Start Audio
I TIMOTHY: LESSON 3
I. PAUL INSTRUCTS TIMOTHY AS TO THE QUALIFICATIONS OF OVERSEERS IN THE CHURCH (3:1-
A. The good work of overseeing must be desired (v.1)
B. Reputation: must be without reproach, being blameless (v.2)
C. Domestic: the husband of one wife (v.2)
D. Character: temperate or vigilant (v.2)
E. Character: sober minded or prudent (v.2)
F. Character: orderly, of good behavior, respectable (v.2)
G. Character: given to hospitality (v.2)
H. Ability: apt to teach (v.2)
I. Character: no brawler, not given or addicted to wine (v.3)
J. Character: no striker, not pugnacious or violent (v.3)
K. Character: not greedy of filthy lucre – sordid gain (v.3)
L. Character: gentle or patient (v.3)
M. Character: not contentious, not quarrelsome – not a brawler (v. 3)
N. Character: no lover of money, not covetous (v.3)
O. Domestic: rules well his own house; manages his own household well (v. 4)
P. Domestic: has children in subjection with all gravity or under control with all dignity (v. 4-
Q. Character: not a novice – not a new convert (v.6)
R. Reputation: has a good testimony of the that are without – good reputation with those outside the church (v.7).
1. Bishops, elders, and pastors are:
(a). three different officers of the church.
(b). the same men whose common work and qualifications are reflected in the different names.
(c). The same officers responsible for three different works.
2. In desiring the office of a bishop, a man is:
(a). seeking merely an office with a dignified title.
(b). seeking to be recognized as a leader in the church.
(c). seeking a work where God and His people can be best served.
3. Give the POSITIVE qualification that contrasts with the following NEGATIVE qualifications:
(a). An overseer must be without reproach -
(b). An overseer must not be a striker -
4. Why must a bishop rule well his own house?
5. Why must a bishop not be a new convert?
6. Why must a bishop have a good testimony from non-
7. GIVE THE QUALIFICATIONS THAT BEST FIT THE FOLLOWING DEFINITIONS:
(a). “able to instruct others in God’s word” -
(b). “cannot be ‘laid hold of’ in any wrong-
(d). “children obeying their father out of respect or veneration for him.” ________________________________.
(e). “stays away from the presence of wine and thus its ugly behavioral effects.” – ________________________________.
(f). “Does not have a quarrelsome spirit.” -
(g). “not a bully or violent person.” -
(h). “Manifests wise, thoughtful and sensible judgment.” -
(i). “alert, prepared for decisive action.” -
(j). “tempers justice with mercy” -
(k). “manifest a ‘love of strangers’” -
(l). “not greedy” -
(m). “not inclined to shameful profit making” -
(n). “a gentleman in conduct and appearance” -
1. Do the qualifications of bishops also apply as qualifications of the faithful Christian?
2. Who cannot serve as an overseer because of the qualification: “must be…the husband of one wife”?
3. Do apostate children, who are grown and maintain their own household disqualify their father serving as an elder?