Click Arrow To Start Audio
I TIMOTHY: LESSON 4
I. PAUL INSTRUCTS TIMOTHY AS TO THE QUALIFICATIONS OF DEACONS AND GLORIFIES CHRIST (3:8-
A. Qualifications for deacons (v. 8-
1. Character: grave (v. 8).
2. Character: not doubled-
3. Character: not given to much wine (v. 8).
4. Character: not greedy of filthy lucre (v.8).
5. Knowledge: holding the mystery of faith…(v. 8)
6. Character: in a pure conscience (v.9).
7. Domestic: husbands of one wife (v. 12)
8. Domestic: ruling their children and houses well (v. 12).
B. Results from serving well as deacons (v. 13)
1. Gain good standing.
2. Great boldness in the faith.
C. Qualifications for women (v. 11)
1. Character: grave.
2. Character: not slanderers.
3. Character: temperate
4. Character: faithful in all things.
D. Instructions given to Timothy to establish the church in Paul’s absence (v. 14-
1. Church is the house of the living God.
2. Church is the pillar and ground of the truth.
E. Facts surrounding Christ are the basis and revelation for godliness (v. 16).
1. Manifested in the flesh.
2. Justified in the spirit.
3. Seen of angels.
4. Preached among the nations.
5. Believed on in the world.
6. Received up in glory.
1. What does the word “deacon” mean?
2. Being “grave” involves:
(a). seriousness of purpose.
(b). dignity in conduct
(c). not being frivolous
(d). all the above.
3. Describe the work of deacons that especially demands one not be “doubled-
4. Can deacons be given to a “little” wine?
5. What TWO things must a deacon know?
6. How does one “prove” himself to be qualified as a deacon of the church?
7. What difference is there between the domestic qualifications of deacons and those of elders?
8. What TWO results occur when one serves well as a deacon of the church?
9. “Women” in I Timothy 3:12 are:
(a). women in general.
(b). wives of deacons.
(c). Women who serve the church when special needs occur.
10. These women must have what qualifications regarding their:
(a). speech -
(b). mind and judgment -
(c). actions -
(d). demeanor and overall behavior -
11. What is being said about the church when it is described as the “house of God”?
12, Since the church is the “pillar and ground of the truth,”
(a). it determines what is truth.
(b). it supports the truth God has once and for all delivered.
(c). It proclaims, practices, and defends God’s revealed truth.
(d). (b) and (c).
(e). all the above.
13. In verse 16, what is being implied in the following:
(a). MYSTERY of godliness -
(b). GODLINESS -