Click Arrow To Start Audio
14. What TWO things must Timothy do to make true progress in his spiritual ministry?
15. What THREE things are necessary if we are to be successful in saving souls unto Heaven?
I TIMOTHY: LESSON 6
I. PAUL INSTRUCTS TIMOTHY AS TO RESPONSIBILITIES TOWARD VARIOUS GROUPS OF INDIVIDUALS IN THE CHURCH (5:1-
A. Duty regarding age (5:1-
1. Respect in exhorting the aged
2. Kindness and purity in conduct toward the young.
B. Duty of caring for widows (5:3-
1. The widows indeed to be cared for by the church (v. 3-
a. Widows with children must be cared for by relatives.
b. Genuine widows who individually live as a Christian contrasted from widows who lust after pleasure.
c. Instructions concerning parental support commanded.
2. The qualifications for widows who are enrolled in the church (v. 9-
a. The command to reject younger widows.
b. The reason given for rejecting younger widows.
c. the instructions for the younger widows
3. The believing woman’s duty toward her widows in her family (v. 16)
C. Duty toward elders (5:17-
1. Honoring the elders who serve well, offering double honor (v. 17-
2. Disciplining the elders who sin (v. 19-
3. Proper selection of elders (v. 22-
a. Timothy instructed as to medicinal use of wine (v. 23).
D. Duty of slaves toward their masters (6:1-
1. The purpose given for slaves honoring all masters.
2. Duty toward believing masters.
3. Timothy’s duty to teach these commands.
1. To “rebuke not…but exhort” an elder means:
a. Do not rebuke the elderly when they sin.
b. Approach with respect for age when the elderly need correcting.
c. Overlook the faults of the aged and compliment them for their good.
2. What two characteristics describe the conduct Paul should manifest toward the young women ?
3. Who is the widow “INDEED?”
4. What is implied in the command to “REQUITE” our parents?
5. What have children done when do not take care of their parents?
6. What is the meaning of widows being “ENROLLED?”
7. Before a widow can be enrolled, she:
a. must be at least 60,
b. could be 55 or older.
c. has no age restrictions.
a. must have been married.
b. must have been married to one man.
c. must have been married to one man and raised children.
a. must have showed hospitality to local saints and strangers.
b. only had to have washed the saints’ feet that she knew in the church.
c. only had to show hospitality to strangers.
a. must have taken care of the sick in her household.
b. relieved the afflicted.
c. must always have said she would be willing to help the afflicted.
a. followed diligently every good work but was not known for good works.
b. must have the reputation for good works
c. must be known for good works because she diligently followed every good work.
8. The younger widows are condemned for desiring to marry because:
a. it is a sin for them to marry.
b. they have rejected their first pledge of serving the Lord without distractions.
9. What did the younger widows learn to do that hurt the church?
10. The wife has no ruling authority in the home (True) (False)
11. What is the believing woman to do that the church cannot do?
12, What is involved in elders receiving “DOUBLE HONOR?”
13. What should be the procedure for correcting an elder who sins?
14. How was Timothy to keep himself pure in the selection of elders?
15. Does verse 23 allow for “SOCIAL DRINKING?”
16. What do SINS, and GOOD WORKS have in common?
17. What reasons are given for slaves to serve well their non-